Built in 1901 from sandstone and cedar, St John’s Mundoolun is a hidden location set amongst trees and is rich in history.
The Church was built as a memorial to John and Anne Collins by their children, soon after the death of John Collins 1898.
It was architect Robin Dods who supervised the construction of St John’s Mundoolun. Work began on 22nd June 1900.
The construction took nearly eighteen (18) months to complete with fifteen (15) men employed almost continuously for this time. The local stone proved very hard to work and progress was slow. The sandstone was quarried from further along the spur on which the Church is sited and was brought to the masons’ shed by dray. The altar, lectern, prayer desk, seats, doors and ceiling timbers were made of red cedar felled in the local area.
The Archdeacon of Brisbane, Arthur Evan David, formally Dedicated the Church on St John the Evangelist Day, 27th December 1901. However, the Church wasn’t Consecrated until August 1904.
A tower was later added in 1915 as a memorial to Robert Martin Collins who died in 1913. The footings for the tower had been laid in 1900 with the rest of the Church but took almost twenty years to be completed. Bells have never been installed.
Services at that time were held in the Church every second Sunday of the month, a tradition that continues today at 10:30am.
As well as regular worship the Church also offers weddings, funerals and baptisms. A dawn service is held every year on Easter morning and a candle light Midnight Mass is held every year on Christmas Eve.
For Wedding, Funeral, and Baptism inquires please contact us
PO Box 279 Jimboomba 4280
Office Phone: 07 5546 0644